This stock is easy to prepare. Just remember to order the head and trimmings ahead of time, because they are not always available. The stock can be made a day ahead and kept refrigerated. It also freezes well for up to a couple of months.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, kosher, lactose-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Type of Dishsoup, stock
- 1½ pounds heads, bones, and trimmings of any white fish (such as corvina, flounder, or sole)
- 1 medium-size onion, quartered
- 1 leek (white part and 1 inch of the green), washed well and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
- 1 medium-size carrot, peeled
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 black peppercorns
- 6 cups water
- ½ cup dry white wine
Place all the ingredients in a large casserole and bring to boil over medium heat, skimming off the froth as it rises to the surface. Reduce the heat to low, partially cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Strain the stock through a fine-mesh sieve. Do not press on the solids. Let the stock cool. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator or freezer.
2003 Maria Baez Kijac
YOUR RECENTLY VIEWED RECIPES
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.