- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (36-ounce) can baked beans, preferably Bush’s
- 1 cup root beer (regular, not diet)
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 to 3 whole ribs celery
Try Amazon Fresh
Get fresh food news delivered to your inbox
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week.
Everyone loves beans at a barbecue. These have a nice root beer taste, but you can also use Dr Pepper, Cherry Coke, or the Southern favorite, RC Cola, for a distinctive flavor. Don’t use any diet drinks, as they get bitter when cooked.
This recipe was featured as part of our Make Your Own Soda Pop project.
Get The Cookbook
Tips for Beans
Cooked beans can easily be placed into pre-portioned freezer bags for easy storage. Be sure to date the plastic bags with a permanent marker and consume within six months.
1 of 3
Remove your frozen bags from the freezer and place directly in a saucepan with warm water. You can also run the bag under warm water in the sink. Toss some of the frozen beans into soups and stews, as they will immediately defrost due to the dish’s high temperatures.
2 of 3
Dried beans come in all different colors, shapes, and sizes, though their storage methods stay consistent across the board. Beans should be transferred to a food-safe container with a sealing lid. If beans are left in their original packaging, they’ll dry out faster. Place the container in a cool, dry place that is away from any sunlight. You’ll want to cook them within a year for ultimate freshness, though some beans have known to last for years.
3 of 3
Next: How to Freeze Beans
- 1Cook the bacon with the onions in a medium saucepan over a grill or side burner until the bacon is brown and crisp, and the onions have become transparent and are just starting to brown.
- 2Add all of the remaining ingredients.
- 3Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring often, until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Remove the celery and serve the beans hot.